There’s something about listening to hip-hop that always manages to remind you how good it feels to work hard and hustle. The great thing about Artists is that many of them are self-made and owe a lot of their success to their entrepreneurial spirit.
If you listen to rap or Hip-Hop on a regular basis, especially old school, chances are you’ll have heard a lot of lyrics that make you want to put in the W-O-R-K needed to be successful and make things happen for yourself.
Here are 10 of our favorite rap lyrics that are perfect for entrepreneurs. Hope you can relate.
1. “It ain’t about who did it first, it’s ‘bout who did it right.” – Drake (Wu-Tang Forever)
This lyric is important for entrepreneurs because it reminds us that it isn’t about being the first to market – it’s about having a quality product and service. Sure, you can be out first, but it might be poorly made or poorly run. Quality is what makes loyal customers and in the end, it’s what creates long term success.
2. “All right stop, collaborate and listen.” – Vanilla Ice ft. Ken Romano (Ice Ice Baby)
An O.B.G. (oldie but a goodie), this lyric reminds entrepreneurs to take time to pause, listen to others, and collaborate. Head down work is good, but you have to take in those around you in order to build great ideas through feedback, brainstorming, and teamwork.
3. "Ask for money, and get advice. Ask for advice, get money twice.” – Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera (Feel This Moment)
A reminder for entrepreneurs to ask for advice, work with others, and get guidance from mentors, collaborators, and others in their industry in order to really build success. All of the money in the world won’t buy you the knowledge others can give you. Never be the smartest person in the room if you want to be a better Entrepreneur.
4. “We all self-conscious, I’m just the first to admit it.” – Kayne West (All Fall’s Down)
No one loves Kanye more than Kanye but he reminds us all that being humble is what will make you more allies and friends, no matter what business you’re in. And, a reminder that we all doubt ourselves sometimes but we have to keep pushing. Being self aware is key to making self improvements.
5. "No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up and handle it." – Tupac (Me Against The World)
Tupac was a true poet and powerful lyricist! What this means to me is, the path to success and reaching your goal won’t always easy, but it’s those that keep pushing forward that make it through. Perseverance is what separates great from good. Are you great or are you good? What's stopping you?
6."Keep integrity at every cost." – Nas (Bridging The Gap)
Integrity is everything, and integrity is what can make or break a business. Know who you are, write out your values, and find likeminded people to surround yourself with. Build each other up and create an army or strategic partners that have the same values.
7. "And if at first you don’t succeed, then dust yourself off and try again." – Aaliyah (Try Again)
You just sang that in your head, didn't ya? We can never forget Aaliyah and these iconic lyrics. They speak for themselves – never give up.
8. “Everyday women and men become legends.” – Common (Glory)
It’s true. Every day is a new day, and today just might be yours. Think about it, all of these legends were just like you and me until they weren't. What is that one thing you can do today to get you there?
9. “He work hard for the money, but it ain’t about cash. Life’s a school yard and I ain’t getting’ picked last.” Childish Gambino (I’m a Winner)
A simple, yet powerful message: Those who work hard make things happen for themselves. Those who sit back and wait might be waiting a long time.
10. “Went from making tuna sandwiches to making the news. I started speaking my mind and tripled my views. Real bitch, only thing fake is the boobs.” – Cardi B (Get Up 10)
Cardi had to make the list, since her rags to riches story is inspiring and anyone that has watched one of her interviews know that she is authentic as they come! She is still proud when she buys a $20 outfit and will brag about it! Authenticity is so important for entrepreneurs. People can see past the fake, so it’s best to put your true self forward, Cardi style. All touchpoints where people can find you, make sure they are all the real you. You in person, you on social media, you in interviews, you all the time!
Now, brb as I put on some Aaliyah, Cardi B, and Tupac to kickstart the 2019 goal setting brainstorm session.
#entrepreneur #BusinessTips #SmallBusiness #Tips #music #oldschool